Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship for German and European Studies
With the creation of the Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship fund, Hella Mears wishes to demonstrate her support and commitment to the Center for German and European Studies in the College of Liberal Arts and foster graduate student research on a wide variety of German and European topics. Find out about previous Hella Mears Fellowship winners.
Up to eight fellowships are available for summer 2016. Two types of Hella Mears Graduate Fellowships are available:
- Fellowships for outstanding incoming students at time of recruitment (only departments may nominate candidates). Details.... Nomination deadline: February 20, 2015.
- Fellowships for outstanding advanced graduate students (individuals apply directly to CGES)
The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship provides summer support in the amount of $5,000 (funds may also be used for travel) to full-time graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts. Application deadline: March 11, 2016.
- Full-time graduate students in CLA seeking a Ph.D. who are in the dissertation phase or immediate pre-dissertation phase (post oral preliminary exams at time of award)
- Applicants have demonstrated outstanding academic promise and potential in their fields and propose to write a dissertation contributing to German and/or European Studies
- Good academic standing
- Willingness to share research results with an appropriate audience
- Applicants have not held an earlier Hella Mears Fellowship Award through CGES
To apply, submit the following documents:
- Application form
- Letter of interest, max. 2 pages (include information on your scholarly background, career goals, and how this summer support will advance your research agenda; also include statement that no other summer stipend is available).
- Detailed project description, including research project title (up to 3 pages, single-spaced, 12-point font; also include information on the current status of the project, and whether or not it is to form the basis of your dissertation)
- Current CV
- Graduate transcript
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from UofM faculty (recommenders may submit letters electronically to email@example.com; please mark as "Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship letter" in subject line)
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of CGES-affiliated faculty from across the disciplines. Award decisions will be made, in writing, at the end of April 2015.
For information contact Klaas van der Sanden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit application as a hard copy to:
Hella Mears Graduate Fellowships 2016
c/o Center for German & European Studies
University of Minnesota
214 Social Sciences
267-19th Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 5545